Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Peace out facebook

Today starts the season of Lent on the church calendar. According to Wikipedia (yes, that's where I got my info from tonight), "The traditional purpose of Lent is the penitential preparation of the believer—through prayer, penance, repentance, almsgiving, and self-denial". Our church in NC had an Ash Wednesday service and I loved that. I will always remember Jason putting ashes on Gracie's forehead when she was just a small baby. It was such a neat way to experience the beginning of the season. In past years we have practiced "giving up" things and also "taking on" things. One year I gave up listening to the radio (this was pre kids and I actually listened to the radio) and spent my commute praying. That was a great experience. Another year I took on reading my Bible (more consistently)...this also was a great experience. For some time now I have wanted to get off of Facebook, but just not had the motivation to actually stop getting on there every day. Last night after seeing a couple of friends post about giving up Facebook for Lent I felt convicted about my time on there and decided that that's what I wanted to get out of my life for the next 40 days (maybe and hopefully longer). I don't feel like I spend a lot of time on there, but I am sure I spend more time than I realize. After I made the decision last night to get off of facebook I deleted the app off my phone and I'm very thankful that I did. One time today I tried to click where the app used to be, although it's now Skype, and just had to laugh at how I had tried to get on facebook without even thinking about it. I stopped and prayed for a minute and then went on. My plan is to pray more, read my Bible more and focus on my family and not all my facebook "friends". I read my Bible early this morning instead of checking facebook. What a wonderful way to start my day. I am thankful that God gives us convictions about areas in our lives that need change. I want to prepare my heart and mind for what God is doing and how I can be a part of His work.

1 comment:

LOLlies Laughs said...

What an encouragement your post is to me! I know God will honor you as you draw near to Him! I praise Him for young families that purpose to seek the kingdom first and will pray for you and Jason specifically. Your children are SO blessed! Love you all and will also continue to pray for your extended family as well. Pam