Thursday, January 10, 2008

2 years ago...

Two years ago today I was sitting in a hospital room at UNC in Chapel Hill, NC. Jason and I were prepared for the arrival of our baby girl (except for the fact that I had not packed my bag for the hospital!). We were prepared, but only because both of our families had been in NC the weekend before for my baby shower at the church. Jason and Bill put the crib and pack ‘n play together. Julie, Suzanne and my Mom washed all the baby clothes and folded them neatly in the dresser. My Dad painted the dresser we bought for the nursery and also brought up the Hayes family cradle…and I just made sure things were getting done (Ha!)! Little did we know that less than 48 hours after the family left I would go in to labor. I woke up early Tuesday morning in great discomfort =), but didn’t think too much about it since it was still 3 weeks to my due date. I rested at home for a little bit that morning and then for some reason thought it would be a good idea to go to work. After being at work for no more than 30 minutes I had my first contraction. I was about to go on a quick home visit to see one of my families, but was told by a co-worker that I should probably go home (thanks Valerie!). I did go home and called Jason on the way home and told him I thought I was in labor. Some time around 2 (and after being encouraged by both mothers) we went to the hospital. It’s pretty funny to go back and look at the note paper we were writing the contraction times down on. It's hard to believe we stayed at home as long as we did. During all of this my sweet husband packed my bag for me! After spending a few hours in the hospital we were sent home. I was told that I was dehydrated and that after I ate and rested the contractions would stop. Gracie did settle down some before we left the hospital, but apparently she didn’t like that we left because once we got home the contractions started back up again. The midwife that saw me at the hospital gave me a prescription for Ambien and told me to take it and sleep and to come back when the pain was unbearable. NOT A GOOD IDEA!!!! Also, not something a first time mother wants to hear. Unbearable pain...isn't that why they have epidurals? So you don't have to get to the unbearable part??!! For some reason I did take the Ambien, but it came back up fairly quickly…no sleep for me. A couple of hours later we were back at the hospital and they admitted me this time. I think Jason and I were still in denial that Gracie was going to be born. All day we had been telling our families not to come up yet. After a long night, a wonderful epidural, and an unplanned c-section Elizabeth Grace was born at 3:44 am. She weighed 7lbs and 9oz and was 19 ½ in. long. She was the most beautiful baby we had ever seen.

My mom shared a funny memory with me tonight. She told me that she had been at BSF that night and when she got done she got the message saying that I was at the hospital again and this time for good. She said she told my dad that she would slow down as she passed the house and he could jump in! My parent’s drove through the night and got to the hospital that morning. Bill and Suzanne caught the first flight out Wednesday morning and were there before lunch. We were so thankful to have our NC “family” with us that night. Mitch and Betty came and stayed a long time with us at the hospital. RG and Carlita stayed all night and were Gracie’s first visitors. It was so special to have them with us.

The past two years have been wonderful. Gracie is such a blessing and truly a gift from God. We cherish the time we have with her and are thankful that God has given us such a sweet and tender (although sometimes spirited) little girl.

Me and Gracie in the recovery room


Gracie's sweet little praying hands

Our first family picture...well one of the first
Jason and his little girl
Grandmother reading "Guess How Much I Love You" to Gracie
Gracie's first car ride
Gracie on 1/11/07Maybe Gracie will be a little more excited about her birthday this year!!




1 comment:

The Armstrongs said...

I love it! What a neat idea to relive the story with all of us, your faithful readers. =) I remember sitting at the hospital with Dana, Woody, and Arden on the 10th and thinking about you, but never dreaming you were in labor yourself. I guess you are never really prepared for that maybe? I'm scared thinking about it!!