Friday, February 18, 2011

Happy Birthday to me!
My sweet Mama brought this cake over for my birthday celebration on Sunday! We had a great time with Marland, Betsy, Theresa, Bill, Suzanne and Grandmom (Jason's Grandmother). We ate cake and icecream and enjoyed hanging out for a bit together. James and Gracie had a blast eating cake and icecream and having all the family in our house. On Monday I celebrated my 31st birthday. Jason let me sleep in, but Gracie couldn't wait until I woke up to come give me a sweet birthday hug and kiss. I had a great day at school (about the only one this week) and then got to go out with Jason for dinner. We were very romantic, being Valentine's Day and all, and went to Sam's to buy groceries after dinner.

This was a really rough week at school for me (Tuesday I cleaned up poop, Wednesday I was with a student when he was throwing up, thankfully we were in the bathroom, and today was a horrible day with Gracie), so it's nice to look back at the beginning of the week and think of all the fun we had. I am also very thankful that it's Friday night and both kids are asleep. I am most thankful that my joy does not depend on circumstances. If it did, I would not be a very joyful person today. I have to admit that it's been hard to choose joy, but I am making every effort to have a good attitude and find all the little ways that God is showing Himself to me this week. One small example is from tonight. After dinner while I wash dishes Jason gets the guitar out and sings with the kids. Tonight Jason called for me to come in a help Gracie with some new hand motions. They were singing "The Lord Reigns". I really didn't feel like singing or doing motions, but Gracie was so excited and Jason even said "maybe this is what you need" and he was right. Singing that song, over and over again with those silly hand motions was a great reminder that our God is in control and is so very powerful. Watching Gracie and James do the hand motions and Gracie singing the words was such a sweet and tender moment. I want our children to know and love Jesus. I want them to understand that God is big and is in control. I want them both to take delight in knowing that God loves them and has a plan for their lives. Tonight, I take delight in knowing that God loves me and has a plan for my life.

2 comments:

The Baughers said...

Happy belated Birthday Sarah! It's been awhile since I've been to your blog, but saw the link on FB. What a great post reminding us that God is in control and has a wonderful plan for each of us, even when our circumstances don't seem so wonderful! Hope this week coming up is much more enjoyable for you! :)

Kathy said...

What a sweet story! It's great to see how you were able to see God even in the muck of a not-so-great week. I need to work more on cultivating that thankful heart in the midst of tough circumstances. Thank you for sharing!