Thursday, February 17, 2011

Running

We're not in this picture, but it gives you a little glimpse of the large crowd that ran Sunday, over 7000 runners!I can't remember what mile this was, somewhere near the middle I think. We're on the far right. This is around mile 11 I think. I was so happy to see the fam! I'm not running ahead of Janelle like it appears in this picture. She ran around/behind me so I could be on the outside to wave at them. Janelle ran beside me, at my pace, the whole run. Great friend!Waiting for Mommy.My class at school made this sign for me. Gracie was so proud!Gracie LOVED my medal! I look pretty excited about it too, actually. Me and Janelle (aka the Best Running Partner EVER)
We got the big kids matching t-shirts.

Me and Gracie with Janelle and Logan.

This past Sunday was a big day for me. I have been running since last summer and have been training for this race for the past few months (I can't remember when we actually started our training schedule). I, along with the best running partner Janelle, ran in the Mercedes Half Marathon. The weather was perfect. It started out cold, but the sun was out and it quickly warmed up...I didn't keep my gloves for very long, but so thankful I had them (thanks Trak Shak!). My original goal was to finish the race in 2 hours or less, but about a month ago I had a little reality check with my pace and bumped up my goal to finish less than 2 hours and 10 minutes. I think I've said before that I'm not a very fast runner, but I had high hopes for myself, especially since my running partner is a fast runner. Over the past few weeks I have been able to increase my speed, but only on shorter times (like on my 30 min. runs). Running for 30 minutes is a little different than running for 2 hours =) Ok, so my time was 2:07. I was very proud of myself (and Janelle of course too)! The last two miles were brutal for me, but we finished. Finishing those 13.1 miles was amazing. I don't know how people run more than 13 miles...I am so very impressed with the full marathon runners!

We had wonderful support from family all along the course. Preston and Logan were at so many locations it was almost funny to see where they would pop up. It was great seeing them and hearing their cheers so often. Bill and Suzanne were also there and it was so special to have their support in this. Suzanne got some great pictures at different spots (all the pictures posted here are from her). Jason and the kids made a special appearance and Gracie had a sweet sign that my class made for me. Seeing all their faces around mile 11 was wonderful encouragement! My Mom made it to the finish line and congratulated Janelle and me right across the finish line! I was also impressed with the overwhelming support of the city and all the other friends and families of the other runners. We also saw some great signs. One of my favorites was "Don't stop running, people are watching!". There was also a sign that read something like "You don't know me, but I'm cheering for you too" and that was encouraging as well! The finish line food was wonderful too. I don't think I've ever had an orange that tasted so delicious!

One more thing about food: When we first started running longer distances, anywhere around 9 or more, I would feel sick and useless after my run. I soon learned that peanut butter is a great secret weapon. If we were running long runs first thing in the morning I would get up and eat a piece of peanut butter toast about 1 1/2 hours before our run. I think that really gave me the extra energy I needed to finish the run and not feel sick. I also learned that I needed to eat right after a run (and then keep eating too). At the Red Nose Run I drank the Gatorade recovery drink after the race and loved it. I stocked up on those when they were on sale at Publix and made that a part of my regular long run recovery process. The day of Mercedes I woke up early to eat a banana and a piece of peanut butter bread (it was actually part of a bagel) and get started on my water intake. After the race I had an orange, part of a banana, Powerade and water. When we got back to the car I ate a granola bar too. I think fueling our bodies before and after running is so very important.

I felt great after the race and even got a little nap in Sunday after lunch. We had the family over for cake Sunday late afternoon to celebrate my birthday and that was also a great way to end race day! Speaking of cake, I celebrated my 31st birthday Monday. Running a half marathon the day before my 31st birthday was a great accomplishment for me. We've taken this week off to rest and I have to say that I actually miss running. I don't want to go run another 13 miles today, but I do miss it and look forward to running again next week. I'm also really excited that it is light outside at 6 a.m. so that we can have some weekday outside runs. I am so thankful for the gym at Dawson, but I really love running outside.


1 comment:

The Baughers said...

SO impressed!!! Congrats on your run!!